Creation care through sustainability is one of the primary goals for the Menno Hall project and it is the objective of both PCDA and Hyland to responsibly use and steward the natural resources they have access to. To that end, they have partnered with Fast + Epp, globally recognized leaders in structural engineering, to utilize a mass timber structural design for Menno Hall.
Mass timber is a cutting edge, environmentally friendly, recyclable and low-carbon wood substitute for carbon intensive materials. Using mass timber offers the benefit of efficiently creating a sustainably sourced, high performance structure that reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
The wood in mass timber buildings is often left exposed, creating an architecturally stunning and harmonious addition to the surrounding neighbourhood.
Advantages of a Mass Timber Structure:
- Mass timber is fire retardant.
- Mass timber provides insulation and thermal mass, making it comparable to concrete as a building material.
- Oftentimes mass timber panels are prefabricated off-site resulting in faster construction/installation.
- Small steel columns increase available floor area compared to wood or concrete columns.
- Using mass timber reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- The exposed wood in mass timber buildings creates architecturally striking structures.
Mass TImber Structure Concept
Mass TImber Structure EXAMPLES